Navy Bean - Don't ask what it means!

Musings on films, music, books, women's tennis, TV shows & more.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Music: L'Aura

Fra emailed me on Thursday about L'Aura, an Italian singer that she thought I'd like. I did have some difficulty in finding her official site because I was originally told that her name was Laura and all I got when I googled 'Laura' was Laura Pausini - who I have dubbed the Italian Celine Dion. I've listened to some tracks from L'Aura's album today, courtesy of her official site (click Musica, Preview then Album) and eDonkey, and I have to say I'm very impressed. She sounds uncannily like Elisa (another Italian favourite of mine, whose latest single Swan plays when you visit her site). My favourite track so far of L'Aura's is Demons in Your Dreams, when she sings softly in the first chorus she sounds like Elisa. Then she lets rip in subsequent choruses and I can hear Lara Fabian (another favourite of mine, who's from Belgium) . I also keep thinking my oven timer is going off when I listen to that song as there's a beeping in the background! Radio Star with its piano intro and vocal style reminds me of Tori Amos.

5 of the 11 songs on her album Okumuki are in English. It might seem like 7 songs are in English when you look at the titles, however the song Alice is in Italian and the only English thing about If Everybody Had a Gun is the title, which is repeated in English throughout the chorus.

L'Aura's site is definitely worth checking out. Listen to the piano versions of the album tracks, as you get to see an animated L'Aura playing the piano, which is both funny and sweet. Because of that I'll forgive the fact that the annoying background music restarts after a few minutes when you turn it off via the loudspeaker icon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home