Navy Bean - Don't ask what it means!

Musings on films, music, books, women's tennis, TV shows & more.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Film: London Lesbian & Gay Film Festival 2006

This year's festival programme was announced yesterday, and I'm sorry to say that once again I'm not terribly impressed. There's nothing that looks as good as last year's Girl Play or D.E.B.S. Maybe I'm being too nostalgic but it's not like the old days; surely more lesbian and gay movies are being made now but where are they? In years gone by there were real events at the festival, including talks with Donna Deitch (director of Desert Hearts), Sandra Bernhard and sexpert Susie Bright. There are no such events this year.

Yet again the programme has one too many old films, couldn't they find enough new material? There's even a couple of films included that open a few weeks or months before the festival, Transamerica (starring Felicity Huffman) and Brokeback Mountain, which rather smacks of laziness on the part of the festival programmers (now including Del Lagrace Volcano, the transgendered incarnation of lesbian photographer Della Grace). Bring back Cherry Smyth I say!

My biggest gripe is that Imagine Me and You should have opened the festival. Yes, it was probably all down to bad timing as it was due to open on February 17th but recently got pushed back to March 30th. However, its inclusion would have made it a festival to remember, especially if the stars Piper Perabo and Lena Headey had been in attendance.

I haven't received my festival programme from the NFT yet so I have only perused the web site, consequently I may have missed something but here's the most interesting films that I've found so far:

Thursday April 1st
20:00Happy Endings Odeon Leicester Square Opening gala. Yet again the festival is opening with a film that has been available on DVD in the US for at least 6 months, just like last year's Pray for Rock 'n' Roll. I give up!
Saturday April 1st
12:10SévignéNFT2Not starring Chloe Sevigny unfortunately.
18:30UnveiledNFT1Released on DVD in the US on 18th April
Saturday April 8th
12:00Show MeNFT2Released on DVD in the US on 21st March, so chances are that I won't wait to see this
20:40The AggressivesNFT1I will only see this if I see Show Me, which is doubtful as I will probably get the DVD when it's released
Sunday April 9th
18:10We Want Gay TV NFT3Clashes with About a Girl. I think this one will be the winner though
18:30About a GirlNFT1Clashes with We Want Gay TV, so may not get to see it
Monday April 10th
18:30El FavorNFT1
20:30The JourneyNFT1Now available on DVD in the US, so I expect I will have seen it by then

1 Comments:

  • At 20:12, Blogger Arte SR said…

    you should see SHOW ME on the big screen, totally worth it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home